What Does a Medicare Supplement Plan Cover?

Medicare Supplement 2023 Plan Options in Rhode Island | MedicareSignups.com  Rhode Island
Are you turning 65 soon and considering enrolling in Medicare? If you are, you may want to consider a Medicare supplement plan. Medicare supplement plans, also known as Medigap plans, are designed to help beneficiaries fill in the gaps in coverage left by Original


Medicare can be intricate and confusing to navigate, so understanding the differences between Medigap plans is crucial. In this comprehensive guide, we’ll break down everything you need to know about Medicare supplement plans, including what they cover, how they work, and how to choose the right one for you. 


  1. What are Medicare Supplement Plans? 


Medicare supplement plans are private insurance plans intended to help pay for out-of-pocket expenses that Original Medicare doesn’t cover, such as copayments, coinsurance, and deductibles. While Original Medicare covers 80% of most healthcare bills, a Medigap plan can cover the remaining 20%, leaving you with little or no out-of-pocket cost. 


  1. What do Medicare Supplement Plans Cover? 


There are ten standardized Medicare supplement plans, labeled A, B, C, D, F, G, K, L, M, and N. Each Medigap plan offers different benefits and deductibles. However, all the plans cover basic benefits such as Medicare Part A (hospital insurance), Part B (medical insurance), and Part A hospice care coinsurance. The exact benefits and out-of-pocket costs depend on the specific plan you select. 


  1. How Do Medicare Supplement Plans Work? 


Medicare supplement plans work alongside Original Medicare. Therefore, you need to have Part A and Part B and pay both the Medicare and Medigap premiums. If you have Original Medicare and a Medigap plan, your Medicare claims will automatically be filed with your Medigap plan, and it will pay its part of the bills before Medicare pays. 


  1. How to Choose the Right Medicare Supplement Plan? 


Choosing the right Medicare supplement plan can be a challenging task. The first thing you should do is compare the different Medigap plans available in your area. The benefits for each plan are standardized, so the main difference in cost will be between the insurance companies. Consider your budget, the benefits you need, and the insurance company’s reputation and customer service while selecting a plan. You should also check if the plan suits your lifestyle and medical needs. 


  1. What are the Costs of Medicare Supplement Plans? 


Medicare supplement plans charge a monthly premium that varies depending on the plan you choose, the location, and the insurance company. Medigap plans offer the same benefits regardless of the insurer, implying that the plan with the lowest premium is not necessarily the best. You should also consider the rate increase history of the insurer to avoid surprises with future premiums. 


In conclusion, Medicare supplement plans are vital if you want to fill the gaps in Original Medicare coverage. Choosing a Medigap plan can be overwhelming, but understanding the basics of each plan and comparing the options available in your area can make the process easier. It’s essential to consider your lifestyle and medical needs when selecting a plan and the reliability of the insurance company. If you’re unsure if a Medicare supplement plan is right for you, talk to a licensed agent who can help you explore other options.

Back To Top